June 2012 Honor Society E-Newsletter
This is the last edition of Honor Society News for the 2011–12 school year. Below are some suggestions to carry you through the summer and prepare for next year. David Cordts Associate Director, Honor Societies
Adviser and Principal Checkup
Before that classroom door slams behind you as you leave for summer vacation, please consider the following regarding your Honor Society chapter:
- Annual renewal fees are now due for the 2012–13 school year ($85). Deadline for submission is June 30, 2012. Please note: Payment by the June deadline guarantees on-time arrival of the back-to-school mailings from the national office—the annual catalog, the first issue of Leadership for Student Activities magazine, and NHS Scholarship information. For those chapters that have to wait until July 1 for new fiscal year payments, please put this payment at the top of the list. Lost your renewal notice? You can download a replacement copy online.
- Changing advisers? Please include the name of the new adviser in your renewal notice. If the new adviser's name is unknown at the time of submission, leave the adviser information blank, but remember to contact the Membership Department at NASSP as soon as the assignment has been confirmed.
- Coadvisers: Chapters can now add a second adviser to receive the official communications and services from the national office for an additional fee of $30. Please include the name and e-mail of the coadviser on the renewal invoice. If you've already sent in your payment, simply contact the Membership Department to inquire about adding a coadviser to your membership.
- Adviser appreciation certificates: Principals, present your adviser with a certificate of recognition for his or her service to your NHS or NJHS chapter this year. We created a free downloadable certificate that allows you to insert your school name, adviser name, and date. We recommend that you print the certificate in color and on heavy card stock.
- Online Survey: Please complete our end-of-year survey by June 30. It will only take 15 minutes and can provide important information to the national staff to help us improve our programs and services.
- Finally, after you've completed your yearly principal/adviser evaluation session, take the time to pack and label your NHS or NJHS files and your copy of the national handbook for easy access when you return in the fall.
Reminders for June and Summer
Chapter Checklist: Even experienced advisers understand the value of undertaking regular chapter check-ups. We have posted the Chapter Checklist to help advisers meet all of the obligations outlined in the national constitution.
Facebook: While this e-newsletter will not be published again until August, we will continue to post project ideas and news on the NHS & NJHS Facebook page.
Highlights: Leadership for Student Activities
The list of themes that will be covered in the magazine next year is posted online. Consider taking some time this summer to write an article relating to one of the themes. Visit www.nhs.us/l4sa and go to the “Call for Manuscripts” link at the bottom of the page.
Quotations for the Summer
“Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.”
—George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
“Summertime is always the best of what might be.”
"There was nothing like a Saturday—unless it was the Saturday leading up to the last week of school and into summer vacation. That of course was all the Saturdays of your life rolled into one big shiny ball.”
—Nora Roberts, Rising Tides
Project Ideas: Time to Share!
Earlier this year, we received a report from the chapter adviser at Alfred-Almond Central School in Almond, NY. The adviser shared the chapter’s recent projects: they collected more than 55 pints of blood during the school’s sixth annual blood drive, wrapped presents in December to raise money for the American Red Cross, and rang the bells as part of the Salvation Army’s national Red Kettle Campaign. The 21 members also supported their school by tutoring students and serving at the concession stand at home basketball games. It’s a small chapter but a group of dedicated young people with a committed adviser who make a difference for others while building strength of character through their service and leadership. Special thanks and kudos to Alfred-Almond Central’s NHS for their good works.
Now it’s your turn to share. Did your chapter participate in a notable project this year? Use the submission form found at www.nhs.us/ideas to send us your project reports. Submissions are highlighted regularly in this e-newsletter and in Leadership magazine.
Honor Society News Evaluation
We hope you have enjoyed and valued this year's editions of Honor Society News. We are trying to make the content unique and relevant to you and your Honor Society chapter each month—without taking too much of your valuable time. To help us improve, please let us know how we're doing. Send your comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Honor Society News Evaluation" in the subject line.