Transferring Active Membership

Moving to a new school? NJHS membership is transferable from one active NJHS chapter to another.

Your student needs to simply obtain a letter from your current school’s principal or chapter adviser verifying membership. Be sure your student notifies his or her new school of NJHS membership within 30 days of enrollment.

Your student will be automatically granted membership, but will need to meet the eligibility requirements of his or her new school within a reasonable period of time, usually one semester, to maintain his or her membership.  The new school may have a higher cumulative GPA required for membership, for example.

Transferring as a Candidate

If your student has been identified as a candidate for membership, but not yet been selected, the student is not an Honor Society member. Thus, there is no membership to transfer. Your student will need to learn eligibility criteria at the new school and learn from the chapter adviser how to submit a candidate information form to be considered for membership, if he or she meets the chapter’s academic requirement.


Membership in NJHS does not transfer to NHS. The candidacy and selection for NHS and NJHS are entirely separate for each organization. This applies to NJHS students in schools with grades 7–9 who transfer for the ninth grade into a school with grades 9–12. Separate NJHS chapters are not permitted in schools with this grade division.

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap