Recognizing the need to help middle level students jump-start their quest toward higher education, the National Junior Honor Society offers the annual NJHS Outstanding Achievement Award (OAA).
The award recognizes 500 exceptional NJHS students with $500, to be placed in a college savings account program-managed by Oppenheimer Funds (OFI Private Investments) as part of the New Mexico Education Trust Board’s 529 college savings plan: The Education Plan.
The application process for the NJHS OAA is now open!
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must not have won this award previously. Past winners are not eligible to apply.
- Must be a current active member of NJHS in good standing, in grades 6-8 (and ninth grade if the ninth grade is part of the NJHS chapter.)
- Must be currently enrolled at a school that has an active chapter of NJHS. You can confirm your school’s active status in our Chapter Finder.
- Applicants must have a verified NJHS student account. Visit www.njhs.us/studentaccount to create your account.
- Members of National Honor Society (grades 10-12) are not eligible to apply for this award.
How to Apply
Students should not attempt to access the portal until they receive the email confirming that their NJHS adviser has verified their NJHS account.
A completed application includes the following: student form, Adviser Certification form, Recommendation Form and Parent Consent form. All are due by 5 p.m. (ET) on Tuesday, March 16.
To assist students, parents, and advisers in completing the application process, please view detailed information about the application process in the NJHS OAA Application Guides:
- NJHS OAA Application Process Overview
- NJHS OAA Adviser Guide
- NJHS OAA Application Process Checklist
- NJHS OAA Student/Parent Application Guide
- NJHS OAA Recommender Guide
Students: View the NJHS Outstanding Achievement Award for Students and Parents webinar recording and download the PowerPoint presentation for a start-to-finish look at this year’s application process.